Where am I? Who are you?

Welcome to Eighth Angel Studios. We're going to write a novel.


This is a collaborative project- contributors (like you) provide characters who are woven into the story as it progresses. But your involvement doesn't end there- as the story progresses you can give feedback on your character, developing them further, influencing their decisions and guiding their actions. The more feedback you provide, the more development your character can receive.


If you want to join in, please follow this blog and comment on this post with a thirty-second description of your character- a name and enough to describe a first meeting. That'll get the ball rolling.


Anyway, enough rambling- on to the plot!

Monday 23 August 2010

[DIS] Are We Shooting?

Welcome to Eighth Angel Studios. If you're here, chances are I've foisted this link on you. You're probably wondering why.

I always loved to write, but in recent years there never really seems to be the time or the inclination. It always seems like there's too much preparation and not enough creation. I narrowed this down to the need for believable, well-rounded characters- if I were to create all the characters I needed to the level I wanted, I'd never get around to putting them into a plot.

That's why this blog has been started, and it's where you come in. We're going to write a novel.

The premise is based on roleplaying and crowdsourcing. In essence, what I need readers to do is give me characters. First, I need a name and a thirty-second description, enough to describe someone you've just met. That gets the ball rolling, and I can get on with the heavy lifting of weaving your characters into the story.

The clever part is that it doesn't end there. As the plot develops, you get to exert your will on the character you added in. Think of yourself as a personality wrangler- giving the character a shove when I start to go off on a tangent. The more you contribute, the more I'll have to work with and the more central to events your character likely becomes.

There'll be two sorts of post on this blog. Those prefixed [DIS], like this one, are discussions of the plot and forums for developing ideas. Those prefixed [STO] are the story itself, though they're not immutable. If you think I'm writing your character wrong, let me know in the comments and keep me on track.

Anyway, enough rambling- I'm guessing that you get the picture. I'll hand over to the plot and we'll see if we can get this show on the road.

4 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it better to have this as a sticky post or static text at the top of the page? It's important info about the blog but as it's all date ordered, anyone viewing the blog won't find it unless they go right to the end of all the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You see, this is why I need people to do my thinking for me!

    Quick and dirty sticky-post up (note to self- never use quick, dirty and sticky in the same sentence again without VERY good reason).

    Also, I've discovered that Blogger does not get on with IE6, Safari Mobile or Opera Mobile. I'm going to need a better browser.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IE6? If anyone is still using that crappy old excuse for a browser then they don't deserve to see websites working properly!

    If Blogger is being a pain in the arse than switch over to something like Wordpress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, I wouldn't consider using it at home (after all, it *is* dead - http://ie6funeral.com), however most of this so far has been done on lunchbreaks at work, where I have significantly less control over the installed applications... TBH I'm counting my blessings that I can get on here at all. ;-)

    ReplyDelete